Wednesday, August 13, 2008

O-Bon Matsuri and Video of my house

O-Bon
Tonight was my first Japanese festival! It's O-Bon, which I believe is about honoring the souls of the family's ancestors. There was a big festival in Yamasaki (the town where I live), a maze of little streets was closed off and there were stands selling food, and games, and people in yukata (a type of summer kimono). Our supervisors at the Board of Education took us over to a kimono shop and outfitted us with yukata and geta (which absolutely destroyed my feet). It was really fun to dress up and go walk out in the streets with everyone. 

On the side of the main street there was a big bandstand where people were playing drums and singing, and people were dancing around it in a circle. We all joined in, dancing around under the lights. It was a lot of fun. At the end of the night there were fireworks, and we all went home exhausted and drenched in sweat (even after sunset it's so hot here). 



Video of my house
I've been trying to get a good video of my house to show everyone, but my camera sucks, so here's a link to the video the guy who lived here before me took of the house. The genkan (entryway) and living rooms look a little different, but basically it looks the same.

1 comment:

CRM said...

How come the video doesn't have the squat toilet?