Friday, September 26, 2008

Some Musings on Teaching

This morning after first period, the first year English teacher came back from her lesson in tears. I don't know the details, but apparently she had a really bad time with the students. I really admire her attitude and her teaching ability, she is only a few years older than me, and she manages, as far as I can see, to be both a respected authority figure and a "cool teacher." She seemed to have the whole thing down, that balance that I've been struggling to find, so seeing her so upset by the students really made an impression on me. I realized even the teachers who seem so together can be hurt by the students' attitude, it's not just me. It made me feel a little better, because I still get upset when the students are disrespectful or slacking off in class. But she always gets along with the students so well, and seems to really like them and care about them, and logically I know that is not going to change from just one bad class. So it made me think, even if there's a bad day, when the students drive me crazy or I feel like they hate me (or I hate them), it's just the inertia of the middle school universe, and the students' attitude is indicative of nothing more than how worked up a class is on a certain day. The next day I can get right back in the saddle, and like the kids again. In other words, misbehaving students are not bad students. The way students act in a group is dictated by many social factors, and I shouldn't take it personally. That's obviously easier said than done, but it gives me something to keep in mind. 

1 comment:

Morgan Warners said...

I totally admire your strength! Keep it up!