Friday, October 24, 2008

The Miriam Times

I stole an idea from some other ALTs in my town and decided to publish a weekly "newspaper" for my students in English. Today was the second issue. In it, I include things like a World News section, an Entertainment section, Word of the Day, Did you know..., Weather, Travel section, crossword puzzle and trivia question. I told the students last week that whoever could answer the trivia question could come to me for a prize. The question was "What American city has the nickname 'the Big Apple'?" I figured most kids wouldn't bother to look for the answer, but a few kids figured it out, then they all told one another the answer. All day, I had students coming up to me going "Miriam, Miriam-New York!" I was worried that I would run out of the bigger prizes (pencils, stamps, baseball cards, foreign money) that I was saving for things like this, so this week I changed the rules, so only the first person from each grade to give me the answer gets a prize. For doing the crossword puzzle, the kids can get a sticker. 

Well, barely an hour after I put out the new edition today, guess who comes walking into the teachers' room with the answer? (the question was "what year did America declare its independence from England?"). TM, my favorite student, the boy from the speech contest. He got it right, and he looked so surprised, he was like "really?!" he looked really happy. He's so adorable!

I'm trying to link to an online PDF for the first time, so I hope it works. Here's a link to the first issue of The Miriam Times.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Didn't link properly to your paper. It goes to this site: https://www.adrive.com/home/downloadfile/81590957

Would love to see The Miriam Times!

Unknown said...

Wow! A fun paper! Love the pictures and the upbeat tone and the font. A great idea. It might be helpful for the cross word puzzle to have numbers in the grid. Probably impossible to do, correct? Good luck with the Miriam Times. Look forward to seeing more issues!